Tebow says no to XFL, opts to continue playing minor league baseball

Tim Tebow in the dugout during a 2017 spring training game with the New York Mets against the St. Louis Cardinals. (WikiMedia Commons)

 

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (Ambush Sports) — Tim Tebow declined an offer earlier this week for an opportunity to play in the revived XFL and will remain a baseball player in the foreseeable future.

Tebow spoke during a press conference Sunday during spring training with the New York Mets at their facility in Port St. Lucie, Fla. regarding his negotiations with the revived football league. Footage from SNY:

The former Heisman Trophy winner, 32, last took a regular-season snap in the NFL back in 2012.

The XFL originally started in 2001 by WWE chairman Vince McMahon, but only had a one-season run. McMahon revived the league in January.

“There was some communication. We had a couple of conversations, but it was pretty clear [I wasn’t playing in the XFL],” Tebow told reporters.

“I love what they are doing,” Tebow said of the XFL. “I think it has a chance to have success and I think that’s great. I think there needs to be a place for a lot of players who are really good and should and could be playing in the NFL and are better than a lot of NFL players. I think it’s awesome and good for a lot of guys who are going to get a spot on an NFL roster because they are going to show a team they’re worth it. But [baseball] is what I wanted to do and pursue and be all in [on].”

Tebow’s first MLB experience was in the Arizona Fall League with the Scottsdale Scorpions in 2016 and made the jump last year to the Triple-A Syracuse Mets, hitting .163 with four homers and 19 RBIs in 77 games he played in 2019.

While the XFL will be preparing for their third week in action, Tebow will be focused on Saturday’s spring training opener against the St. Louis Cardinals at 1:05 p.m. Eastern time from Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium in Jupiter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *